Featured artist: Shannon Crees

Smoke free zones

Featured artist: Shannon Crees
You are here:

Community

Smoke free zones

Smoke free zones: laugh, live, play

Marrickville Council adopted a Smoke-free Outdoor Environments Policy in 2011 to encourage a healthier, cleaner and greener community.

Council's policy aims to support both non-smokers and smokers to reduce their exposure to cigarettes by restricting smoking in certain areas where cigarettes cause harm to the community.

Smoking is not acceptable in the following areas:

• no smoking at outdoor dining venues on public footpaths or at outdoor dining venues on other public lands controlled by Council;
  • no smoking at sportsgrounds and fields that are owned or controlled by Council;
  • no smoking at any aquatic facility and recreational/leisure facility owned or controlled by Council, which may also be leased to a third party/(ies);
  • no smoking in any public place that is within 10 metres of any Council owned or managed building or other facility;
  • no smoking within 10 metres of children's playgrounds/play equipment or other designated recreational equipment/areas in parks;
  • no smoking at any Council conducted/funded event/function that is held in an outdoors setting in a public place; and
  • no smoking within 10 metres of any bus stop in a public place.

This policy puts Marrickville among the more than 50% of councils in NSW that have introduced some form of smoke-free outdoor areas policy in their communities. 

Why did Marrickville Council go smoke-free?

Smoking is a major cause of preventable illness and death. This is why Marrickville Council partnered with the Cancer Council NSW to introduce a Smoke-free Outdoor Environments policy to help reduce the incidence of smoke-related illnesses in our community.

Outdoor smoking bans also have significant environmental benefits. Smoke-free outdoor zones can help to reduce the amount of cigarette butt litter and substantially reduce Council's clean up costs. We can all contribute to a cleaner and greener community by ridding our streets, parks and waterways of tonnes of littered cigarette butts.

IT'S HEALTHER

• Second-hand smoke from cigarettes contains up to 4,000 toxic chemicals.
  • Each cigarette smoked shortens one's life by 11 minutes.

IT'S CLEANER

• Cigarette butts make up 50% of litter items in NSW.
  • An estimated 100,000 tonnes of polluted air is exhaled by smokers in NSW each year.

IT'S GREENER

• Cigarette butts take up to 5 years to break down.
  • Globally, about 200,000 hectares of forest disappear each year due to tobacco production.

Frequently asked questions

BUSINESS OPERATOR (outdoor dining)

• Q: What can I do if somebody lights up?
    A: Let your customer know that Marrickville Council has a policy that restricts people from smoking in outdoor dining areas on Council land. Ask your customer to put out their cigarette and explain that it is a condition of your license. You can advise them that they can smoke a reasonable distance away from outdoor dining areas where their smoke will not affect customers. If they refuse, decline to serve them and ask them to leave.

• Q: What do you mean by Council land?
    A: Council land includes footpaths, plazas and dining platforms that are covered by your license.

• Q: What can I do if a customer of another business is smoking and the business operator is not doing anything?
    A: If it becomes an ongoing occurrence, you can call Council on (02) 9392 5000 and we will send an officer to talk with the business operator.

• Q: How do I obtain smoke-free dining signs?
    A: Call Council on (02) 9392 5000 and we will send some signs.

• Q: If my customer does not want to stop smoking and becomes aggressive what do I do?
    A: You should call the police.

• Q: What if I ignore it?
    A: Your license will be conditioned to require you to comply with the new policy. We would expect all license holders to uphold their license conditions.

PLAYGROUND PATRONS

A: If you feel comfortable, you can explain that Council has declared playgrounds a smoke-free zone. You can advise them that they can smoke a reasonable distance away from the playground where their smoke will not affect children. If it becomes an ongoing occurrence, you can call Council on (02) 9392 5000 and we will send an officer.

SPORTSGROUNDS AND FIELDS

A: If you feel comfortable, you can explain that Council has declared sports grounds and fields a smoke-free zone. You can advise them that they can smoke a reasonable distance away from the sports ground or field where their smoke will not affect people using the facilities. If it becomes an ongoing occurrence, you can call Council on (02) 9392 5000 and we will send an officer.

BUS STOPS

A: If you feel comfortable, you can explain that Council has declared bus stops a smoke-free zone. You can advise them that they can smoke a reasonable distance away from the bus stop where their smoke will not affect people. If it becomes an ongoing occurrence, you can call Council on (02) 9392 5000 and we will send an officer.