Under section 11(1) of the Companion Animals Act 1998, the owner of an identified companion animal (whether or not it is registered) must notify the Director-General when any of the following happens:
- (a) any change occurs in the registration information or identification information for the animal (notification must be given within 14 days after the change occurs),
- (b) the making or revocation of a declaration by a court under Part 5 that the animal (being a dog) is dangerous (notification must be given within 7 days after the declaration is made or revoked),
- (c) the animal dies (notification must be given within 28 days after the animal dies),
- (d) the animal has been missing for more than 72 hours (notification must be given within 96 hours after the animal went missing),
- (d1) the animal has been found after having been reported missing (notification must be given within 72 hours after the animal is found),
- (e) any other event prescribed as a notifiable event by the regulations.
Visit our forms, brochures and FAQs page to find forms for changing ownership of a pet.