Featured artist: Shannon Crees

Occupation certificates

Featured artist: Shannon Crees
You are here:


Occupation certificates

What is an Occupation Certificate?

An Occupation Certificate certifies that the building or nominated part of the building is suitable and safe to be occupied, in accordance with the relevant requirements of the National Construction Code (BCA).

The National Construction Code sets the standards for the design and construction of various classes of buildings to maintain and protect public health, safety and amenity.

When is a Occupation Certificate required?

Before a new building or part of a building (e.g. additions to a building) can be occupied, and before commencing any change in a building's use, you need to get an an occupation certificate from the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA).

Failure to obtain an occupation certificate is an offence.

Types of Occupation Certificates

There are two types:

  • An Interim Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a partially completed building, or the commencement of a new use of part of an existing building resulting from a change of use of the building.
  • A Final Occupation Certificate allows commencement of either the occupation or use of a new building (including alterations/extensions) or the new use of an existing building resulting from a change in its use.

Where an Interim Occupation Certificate is issued, a Final Occupation Certificate is still required to be issued when all outstanding building work or the change of use is complete. A Final Occupation Certificate supersedes any previously issued Occupation Certificates. A Final Occupation Certificate is generally required to ensure an owners insurance coverage.

Who can issue an Occupation Certificate?

The Principal Certifying Authority (PCA).

Assessment timeframes for Occupation Certificates

The initial timeframe for assessment for Occupation Certificates can take up to ten (10) Working days.

Occupation Certificate fees

The fee for an Occupation Certificate is incorporated into the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) fees which are paid when nominating Council as the PCA.

Occupation Certification application form