Inner West Council Marrickville's Rainwater Tank Incentive Scheme – a workshop and rebate program – is available to all rate payers, residents and businesses in the local government area. It is funded from the Marrickville Stormwater Management Service Charge.
Council provides you with everything you need to know about rainwater tanks from choosing the right tank for you to how to claim rebates.
Council has offers the following rebate based on the volume of the tank(s) installed and how the water is used. Higher rebates are offered for larger tanks and those with internal plumbing to laundry, toilets and/or hot water*.
|Council rebate amounts and examples||Council standard rebate||Council low income rebate|
|Tank only||10c per litre||15c per litre|
|Example tank size: 2000 litre tank||Rebate $200||Rebate $300|
|Tank internally plumbed to 1 use – toilet(s) or laundry or hot water*||13c per litre||20c per litre|
|Example tank size: 2500 litre tank||Rebate $325||Rebate $500|
|Tank internally plumbed to 2 uses - toilet(s) and/or laundry and/or hot water*||18c per litre||27c per litre|
|Example tank size: 2500 litre tank||Rebate $450||Rebate $675|
|Tank internally plumbed to 3 uses – toilet(s) and laundry and hot water*||20c per litre||30c per litre|
|Example tank size: 10,000 litre tank||Rebate $2000||Rebate $3000|
|Tanks used in common areas of flats, units and apartments||Additional $500 flat rate to body corporate|
* Plumbing into hot water is not always suitable. Check with your plumber.
1. Download and read Council's information pack:
2. Attend a free compulsory technical rainwater tank installation workshop. Bookings are essential – please call Council on 9335 2222. The next workshop dates are:
3. Install your rainwater tank.
4. Complete the rebate application forms (see part 1 above) and lodge with Council.
5. Council will contact you to arrange a tank inspection.
To obtain an information pack or book a place at a workshop, contact Council on 9335 2104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sydney Water is currently offering an inexpensive 'retro fit' for your home. The WaterFix program offers a range of water saving services starting at just $132.