Family history databases at Marrickville Library
A new collection of family history resource databases have recently been installed at Marrickville Library. Over 30 new resources – covering births, deaths and marriages, telephone directories, convict records, cemetery transcriptions and the Australian Genealogical computer index – are now available. Pre-booking is recommended and can be made by phoning 9335 2173.
Local and family history societies
- Aboriginal Australians family history– Aboriginal births, deaths and marriages (though not all) were recorded in the same way as the rest of the population – especially when families were in regular contact with church or government officials.
- Australian War Memorial – The Australian War Memorial's collections contain a wealth of material relating to the military service of individuals.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission – The Debt of Honour Register provides personal and service details and places of commemoration for the 1.7 million members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First or Second World Wars.
- Convicts to Australia – The definitive site for Convict research on the world wide web.
- Family Search – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints searchable database
- First Families 2001 – A pilot program funded by the State Library of Victoria, designed to draw together stories of Australian families to celebrate the Centenary of Federation in 2001
- Gould Books – Family and local history specialist
- New South Wales Registry of Births Death and Marriages
- Sands Directory – The firm of John Sands Ltd (Printers and Stationers) published their directory each year from 1858–59 to 1932–33 (except for 1872, 1874, 1878 and 1881). The household and business information it contains has become a fundamental source for research into Sydney history, especially family history. A complete set of the Sands Sydney, Suburban and Country Commercial Directory has been made available online.
- State Library of New South Wales
- State Records
- United Kingdom and Ireland genealogy